Tuesday, March 11, 2014

strength for the moment

My parents are the strongest people I know. Last Monday I watched my mom draw a funny design on her abdomen just to make her surgeon giggle. I saw them laugh and joke. I could see the worry but I never saw fear. When the surgeon told us about my mom's cancer, I looked at the ground and thought there must be some mistake. 

When they brought my mom to her room, where we were waiting I saw the strength of ten thousand men in my dad. In a the kindest most loving way he told her that she had stage 4 stomach cancer. The surgeon weighed the odds and left the cancer inside her body. Mom will start chemo in two weeks. My dad has vowed to love, cherish and stand by my mom in sickness and health. He is living out those vows right now. 

Mom had some very difficult, pain filled days last week. She is recovering at home now. Her strength and will to fight is apparent to all of us. It does my heart good to see the progress she is making each day. She is embracing every moment and has a smile on her face. That smile is her strength for all to see. No matter what lies ahead we are ready for the battle. I love you mom!

Psalms 46:1 KJV

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. MY heart is filled with Love for my Sister in law my Brother and his Children as the tears roll own face, the words of my sweet Niece full my heart with piece MARLENE AND VERNON I LOVE YOU, PRAYERS FOR YOU FROM DEEP WITH IN MY HEART , MAY THE LORD ARE GOD STAND WITH YOU IN THIS TIME OF NEED, LOVE YOU ALWAYS YOUR SISTER PAMELA

    ReplyDelete